Our Main Activities
Ensure Public Interest is Protected
To ensure that the public interest is protected in the advancement of the safe and effective use of therapeutic play, play therapy, creative arts therapies, child counselling, filial coaching, child psychotherapy and related therapies throughout the UK, in general, and in particular where children’s and infants’ development is impaired by social, emotional, behavioural or mental health difficulties.
Monitor and Advise
To monitor and advise upon the standards and activities of the United Kingdom Society of Play and Creative Arts Therapies, known as Play Therapy UK (hereinafter referred to as PTUK), to ensure that professional practitioners’ interests are balanced by the public interest.
To hear any complaints against PTUK and to address any unresolved complaints made by members of the public subject to the PTUK complaints process.
To regularly audit the Accredited Register, accredited by the UK Professional Standards Authority (hereinafter referred to as the PSA), to ensure that the data is accurate, transparent, current, unbiased and provides the public with the information needed to choose a safe and effective practitioner to work therapeutically with children or infants.
Review Public Interest
To review the public interest element of the competencies required for the titles: ‘Practitioners in Therapeutic Play’, ‘Play Therapist’, ‘Counsellor of Children Using Play and Creative Arts Therapies’, ‘Filial Play Coach’, ‘Clinical Supervisor of Play and Creative Arts Therapies’ and any others proposed by PTUK. The competencies include those required for the functions of marketing, finance and practice management as well as those of a therapeutic nature
To make recommendations to PTUK about all of the above issues and any new, or amended existing standards that PTUK proposes, including its ethical system, and to report to the PSA any unreasonable refusal by PTUK to implement the Council’s recommendations.
Minutes of Meetings and Reports - PDF Downloads
Audits and Review
- A Summary of the Annual Report of PTUK by the Chair of BCTIWC Hazel Colyer – 1 – Oct 2014 – Feb 2016
- A Summary of the Annual Audit of PTUK by the Chair of BCTIWC Lorna Lewis October 2017
- A summary of the Annual Report of PTUK by the Chair of BCTIWC Lorna Lewis February 2019
- A summary of the Annual Report of PTUK by the Chair of BCTIWC Lorna Lewis February 2020
- A summary of the Annual Report of PTUK by the Chair of BCTIWC Lorna Lewis February 2021
- A summary of the Annual Report of PTUK by the Chair of BCTIWC Lorna Lewis and Dr. Keith Lampard member of BCTIWC September 2022
- The Appendix of the Annual Report of PTUK by the Chair of BCTIWC Lorna Lewis and Dr. Keith Lampard member of BCTIWC September 2022
Helen Tozer – Chair and Lay Member
Lorna Lewis – Lay Member
Anna Doherty – Lay Member
Rachel Morse – Professional Member
Evelyn Saunders – Professional Member
Next Board Meeting
The next meeting will be on Thursday 5th October 2023 at 10am online. Up to two members of the public, who have an interest in therapeutic interventions for children may attend. If you are interested please email email@example.com.